Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Another Trip to Texas

I'm humoring my mom and letting her post about our trip to Texas, cuz I'm still tired from the trip:

Whew! We just completed yet another trip to the great state of Texas. Somehow, though, Texas always greets me with a solid wall of torrential rain to drive through! Pix of some scenery on our trip is at
http://www.hurrikanecardigans.shutterfly.com/ . I'm fascinated with the giant wind turbines in western Oklahoma, so there are several photos of those. And, because I'm multi-talented (or just plain a danger to myself and others), all the photos except the cotton plants in Texas were taken while screeching down the interstate at 70+ MPH. Hey, I did put the phone down while taking the photos at least!

Hawk went to show in Lubbock. He's at that age where he thinks he's pretty hunky, and that all the ladies are impressed with him. I wanted to keep showing him just to see if we could work through that and get him back to his usual, attentive self. Good luck with that!

The trip to Texas was uneventful in and of itself. Saturday morning, though, on the trip from the hotel to the show site, my van went CLUNK and I pulled immediately to the shoulder of I-27. I knew it was something not good, and of course I went through the motions of lifting the hood and looking at the engine. Uh, I'm not sure WHY I would even bother, since I haven't a clue what I would even be looking for!

So, a call to tow service, and thank goodness Bonnie was following. We loaded up the show gear, the show clothes, oh, and all the dogs (Big Nick, Breezy, Hawk) into Bonnie's van with her show gear, show clothes and her dogs! Off to the show, and I ran to the Firestone in Bonnie's van to give them the key to my van.

Hawk won BOB on Saturday, although he showed like a bee on a string. No attention, no patience, and no interest at all in showing like a rock star! When we went to group that afternoon, he did much better, so I think we just have to keep at it.

Almost 12 hours after my van conked out, we had a diagnosis of a broken timing belt, and the van was fixed with no other damage to the engine. Everyone was exhausted, and we slept well on Saturday night!

Sunday Hawk was BOS to Paige, and he showed much better than he did on Saturday. Paige finished her Championship! We did not show until after 1pm, and it was 2pm when we were loaded up, and on the road back to Kansas City. What a lonnnnggggg drive after the events of the weekend. The Blue Bus arrived at home just before 2am, and everyone crashed. I flipped on the bathroom light to discover the toilet tank had overfilled and was leaking all over the bathroom floor. :-( I fixed the problem and tossed towels all over the floor. Flipped off the light and headed to bed, not in any mood to deal with it then.

Monday morning came far too early but momma's gotta work to feed the dogs and pay for shows, so we got up and fell back into our weekday routine.

Thank goodness we have a weekend off, I know we can all use some quiet time at home!

No comments: